Various lists and interesting snippets relating to the Bandon Area
College, Dublin Records with Bandon references 1593-1846
Admission Records with Bandon References 1521-1889
Recipients of grants
for flood relief in Bandon in 1765
Bandon Constables elected in 1767 to serve in 1768
Jury in Bandon in 1767 to serve in 1768
Some Memoranda of
Apprenticeship in Bandon in the 1700s
Assistance to quell disturbances in 1794
Subscribers to Bandon
Coal Yard 1795
School Snippets of the 1800s
Infirmary. List of Subscribers in 1807
Subscribers to a reward
on 2nd July, 1809
Bandon apothecaries 1790s
Petition in 1817
from Devonshire Estate Correspondence in the 1800s
Tenants Letters in the 1800s
and Auctioneers in the early 1800s
South Cork Curates and Light Infantry 1800s
of Bandon Mills of W.J. and J. Biggs (proprietors) - 8th June, 1827
Bandon Corporation lists
from 1826 and 1831
Subscribers list to A Scriptural Commentary 1832
of licences to keep arms 1832
Excise and Spirit Licence from 1832
Attendees at the
enquiry into the state of the poor of Bandon 1836
Appropriations for Church of Ireland Clergy in 1836
Lieutenants and Magistrates 1836
Bandon Voters List 1837
Pawnbroker Returns for 1837
Property Holders list 1837
Royal Agricultural Society Dinner, Cork 22nd July 1842 - Bandon
Subscribers to The Topographical Dictionary of Ireland 1837 by Samuel Lewis
Non Resident Freemen of Cork City in 1837
Guardians of the Bandon Poor Law Union 4th March, 1839
List of Bandon Landlords attending a meeting at the Courthouse
on 7th December, 1846
- Bandon Committee of Cork Trade Exhibition of 1852
1853 - Bandon Subscribers to missionary schools on the Islands
List of freemasons from 1869
Petition to create passageway between South Main Street and the New Road
Allman Distillery Workers
25th August, 1883
1884 - Borough of
Bandon Bridge Protestant Electors List
1884 - Borough of
Bandon Bridge - Roman Catholic Electors List
Miscellaneous Bandon Snippets
Kilbrogan and Ballymodan Church Snippets
extracted from Bennets
1591 - Richard NEWMAN was vicar of Kilbrogan:-
[Rory FLYNN was also vicar of
Kilbrogan, according to another visitation book of same date. FLYNN was
vicar of Inskenny in 1581; and vicar of Kilbonane, and rector of
Knockavilly, in 1591]
1615 - Robert SUTTON
appears as vicar: - "Kilbrogan Vic. residens. per royal
visitation of this year,
1628 - Baptist HASSELL was
prebendary of Kilbrogan, September 28th...
1632 - John SNARY was
prebendary and vicar. He was installed March 31st, on Letters
Patent dated March 2nd. He was deaconed on the 23rd May, and
priested on the 29th September, 1624, by John, bishop of Sodar
and Man. In 1634, the rectory of Kilbrogan was valued at £20
per annum, and the prebendary and vicarage at £37-in all £57
yearly. Mr. SNARY obtained a patent in 1635, uniting the
rectory with the prebendary and vicarage; and as prebendary,
rector, and vicar of Kilbrogan he appears subsequently.
1661 - Hugh
DUNSTERVILLE, A.M., prebendary. In 1663 he was also archdeacon
1666 - John EASTON, A.M.; prebendary. Also chancellor of Ross.
1669 - Richard SYNGE,
prebendary. In 1674 he became archdeacon of Cork. He was also
chancellor of Ross. His daughter Thamer was buried in
Kilbrogan, November 11th, 1711.
1674 - George SYNGE,
prebendary and vicar of Kilbrogan, rector and vicar of Aghinagh,
vicar of Aghabollig and Kilcolman, rector of Templetrine, and of
Agiapallin, county of Meath. He was son of the bishop of
Cloyne. In 1665, when sixteen years old, he entered Trinity
College, Dublin. In 1681 he married Mary daughter of Thomas
HEWYTT, of Bandon-Bridge; and secondly, in 1687, Margaret FREKE,
of Templebryan, in Ross. In his will, dated September, 1692, he
desires to be buried near his first wife, in the chancel of
1692 - Daniel LORD was
prebendary, rector, and vicar, "per mortem Georgii SYNGE." He
was the son of Richard LORD, and was born in Dublin in 1657.
1704 - Solomon FOLEY
was prebendary, rector, and vicar of Kilbrogan; rector and vicar
1734 - Edward SPILLANE and
James MOXLEY, S.N., Church wardens
1738 - William
JACKSON, prebendary, rector, and vicar; was also rector of
Aghlish, and rector and vicar of Murragh -vacant by FOLEY’s
death. He was born in 1713; and entered Trinity College, Dublin,
when sixteen years of age. He was priested in Cork in 1737, for
the curacy of Brinny; and the following year he married Mary
NASH, of Brinny, to whom he bequeathed his property. He died in
1739 - William
ROBINSON, A.M. succeeded, upon JACKSON’s resignation. He was
also rector and vicar of Murragh; but was not in the possession
of the one rectory of Aghlish, which - when vacated by JACKSON -
was bestowed upon Thomas BLENNERHASSET, and was not restored to
Kilbrogan until 1746. Mr. ROBINSON was the son of the Rev.
Thomas ROBINSON, of St. Nicholas, Lancashire. He married Anne
MOORCROFT; and by her had a son, Thomas, who married Dorothy,
daughter of Samuel TOWNSEND, of Whitehall.
1746 - St. John
BROWNE, L.L.D., was prebendary, rector, and vicar of Kilbrogan,
rector and vicar of Murragh, rector of Killowen, chancellor of
Ross, and rector of Innishannon and Leighmoney. 1738 he married
Amelia St. GEORGE, of Kinsale; and had issue:- Rev. Thomas
Adderly BROWNE, chancellor of Ross; Rev. St. John BROWNE,
scholar Trinity College, Cambridge; and Sir St. George Sackville
BROWNE, K.C.B., lieutenant-general in the army. Dr. BROWNE
married secondly, in 1776, Mrs. Elizabeth HODDER; but it does
not appear that there was any issue from this marriage. He died
1796 - John KENNY,
L.L.D., prebendary, rector, and vicar of Kilbrogan; also vicar
of Kinneigh, and rector of Dunderrow. He married Mary HERBERT,
of Muckross, and had:- Rev. Edward H. KENNY, rector of Kilmeen;
Robert, who was a captain in the navy; Rev. Thomas KENNY,
prebendary of Donoughmore; Rev. Arthur KENNY, F.T.C.D.; and a
daughter Mary, who wrote Letters of Prejudice. Dr. KENNY
died in 1814, and was buried in Ballymartle.
1815 - Venery LOVETT,
D.D., was prebendary, rector, and vicar of the parish, and
rector of Aghlish. He was the third son of Jonathan LOVETT, of
Liscombe, Bucks, and Kinswell, county Tipperary. He married
Frances Mary, daughter of Henry GERVAISE, archdeacon of Cashel;
and had issue:- Jonathan Henry, ambassador and resident at the
court of Persia; William, of the Royal navy; and Henry William,
who, on the death of his uncle, Sir Jonathan LOVETT, Bart., of
Linscombe, inherited the estate of Saulsburry, in
1818 - Horatio
Townsend NEWMAN was prebendary, rector, and vicar, upon the
resignation of Lovett. He married on the 10th of November, 1817,
Charlotte Elizabeth, third daughter of the Right Honorable Denis
DALY, of Dunsandle, county Galway. Mr. NEWMAN was son of Adam
NEWMAN, of Dromore - he died, January 6th, 1864
1842 - Honorable
Charles Broderick BERNARD, M.A., Baliol College, Oxford, second
son of James, earl of Bandon. He was born January 4th, 1811. In
1843 he married the Honorable Jane Grace FREKE, sister of
George, seventh baron of Carbery; and had issue: - Percy
Broderick, born September 17th, 1844; James Boyle, born December
(Rev. Herbert P/ MOLESWORTH,
curate of Kilbrogan – died 1847?)
1867 - Robert Gilbert
ECCLES, A.B., succeeded Jan 13th. Son of John ECCLES,
Esq., of Ecclesville, county Tyrone-was born June 14th, 1826; in
1853 he married Nannie Elizabeth, daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel
DICKSON, of Hollybrook, county Fermanagh, and has numerous
On Sunday, March 16th, 1700-1,
Bishop DOWNES admitted Mr. CHRISTIE and Mr. MILLS to deacon's orders in
the parish church, On the 26th of April, 1864, after an interval of one
hundred and sixty-three years, another ordination was held here by
Bishop GREGG; upon which occasion Mr. J.N. WOODROFFE and Mr. EVERS were
ordained deacons, and the Rev. J. HOARE and Rev. Charles CROSSLE were
Edward LEGARD, lieutenant to
Captain Robert HYLIARD, died January 6th, 1678
Notes from Monumental
Inscriptions and headstones:
At present the chancel and nave
contain monumental inscriptions to the memory of W. H. STONE, Jonathan
CLERKE, M.D., Rev. F. SPILLER, Dean NEWMAN, Captain CLERKE, R.E., Rev.
Herbert MOLESWORTH, Rev. Robert KENNY, Rev. Thomas KENNY, Rev. Henry
GILLMAN, Frederick MAYNE and Thomas WRIGHT. In the churchyard, on the
right of the principal entrance to the church itself, is headstone to
the memory of Eldad HOLLAND, parish clerk,-
this life ye 29th day of 7 ber, 1722."
Her lies the body of Captain
John NASH, who departed this life 18th of February, in the 75th year of
his age, and in the year of Our Lord 1725."* (Sean Dearg)
On of flat oblong slab, much
"Here lyeth the body of Steven DUER, the only son of Steven and Ann
DUER, of ye Island of Antigua-1701."
On a headstone:-
"Here lies the body of George FORD and family, who departed
this life December 12th, 1801, aged 55 years."
Adjoining the west wall: -
"Here lyeth ye body of Mrs. Rebecca SPLAINE, wife of Mr. James
SPLAINE the elder, aged 83 years; the weare married 64 years and
six months, and departed this life April 16th, 1782."*
“Here lyeth the body of Anne
DYKE, alias HARRISON, a virgin, formerly from Bristol."
“Here lyeth the body of Thomas RICE, a merchant from
Bristol, who died A.D. 1639."
Buried at St Michaels,
Notes on Charitable
The charities of Kilbrogan
derive their income from rents, and from it interest-money arising from
funds lodged in government securities. They are as follows: -
- One hundred pounds,
recovered by Dr. BROWNE. Interest to be distributed annually
amongst the poor of Kilbrogan
- Fifty pounds sterling,
which remained in the hands of Dr. BROWNE received by him from the
executors of his predecessor, Mr. ROBINSON. Two-thirds of the
interest-money to be distributed annually amongst the poor of
Kilbrogan; the other third to the poor of Murragh.
- Two hundred pounds
Sterling, bequeathed by Walter TRAVERS, Esq. Interest to be yearly
distributed among ten poor housekeepers of Kilbrogan
- One pound, paid annually
out of French's slip, city of Cork
- Five pounds per annum,
left by Thomas LISSON to the poor of Kilbrogan, out of the lands of
Droumilihy and Kilbegg.
- One hundred pounds
sterling, bequeathed by Dr. BROWNE. Interest to be paid to the poor
- One thousand pounds.
Interest divided between the parishes of Kilbrogan and Ballymodan.
- CONNER's bequest.
- Ten pounds per annum
(Irish), left by Thomas HARRISON; chargeable on the lands of
Baelgooley. Divided between Kilbrogan and Ballymodan
- Four hundred pounds, left
by William MOXLY. Interest thereof between Kilbrogan and Ballymodan.
- Two hundred pounds,
presented to the parish by the Hon. Mrs. William Smyth BERNARD. The
interest to be annually distributed among twelve poor windows,
residents in Kilbrogan.
The following sums are not
- Five shillings, to be paid
annually out of the holdings of John HAMMET, in the town of Bandon.
- One shilling, out of the
holdings of George WHEELER, to be paid annually.
- Thirty shillings, to be
paid annually out of the holdings of Thomas LISSON, of
Bandon-Bridge; being Langton's holdings. Thirty shillings, to be
paid by the provost of Bandon for the time being.
- Two pounds, payable
annually out of the holdings of the widow of the late George CONNOR.
- Two pounds, payable
annually out of the premises called Loves' holdings.
- Thirty pounds, bequeathed
by William BANFIELD, junior. Interest to be paid annually for the
benefit of the poor in Kilbrogan
1591 - John NEWMAN was
vicar of Ballymodan. He was also vicar of Brinny. The rector
was Nicholas THORNBY.
1615 - Robert SUTTON,
vicar. Sutton held also the vicarage of Kilbrogan and
1628 - Thomas WEIGHT,
vicar. Weight had a son (Rice WEIGHT), who was for some time a
curate in Bandon; and whose son Thomas, "who served a hard
apprenticeship to a clothier in Bandon," became a conspicuous
member of the Society of Friends, and was the author of the History of the Quakers in Ireland
1662 - Henry PARR,
vicar. He was also rector and vicar of Rathclarin, and vicar of
1666-7 - Peter HEWITT, vicar,
upon the resignation of PARR.
1675 - Hugh JENKINS
was vicar. Also vicar of Rathelarin, Cannaway, and rector of
1680 - John TOM was
vicar. He was rector and vicar of Cannaway, vicar of
Rathelarin. Mr. TOM married Mary [name not known], and had issue
of four children. She died in 1692. He married secondly, in
less then three months afterwards, Deborah BURROWES, widow, by
whom he had three sons and one daughter He died in 1717, and was
buried in Kinsale Church.
1681 - Hugo JENKINS was
restored. He was again deprived in 1685.
1686 - Paul DUELOS,
A.M., vicar of Ballymodan. He married Frances MASSIOTT, of
Shandon, Cork, in 1682, and had five daughters. He died in 1717
1692 - Richard
GOODMAN, vicar, upon the resignation of DUELOS. He was son of
the Rev. Thomas GOODMAN, precentor of Ross. He was born in
1657. He married Hannah [name not known]. From 1692 to 1696 he
was vicar of Rathclairn; and from 1692 to 1737 vicar of
Ballymodan. From 1696 to 1737 he was rector of Knockavilly and
vicar of Brinny - The flagon at present in use in Brinny Church
was presented to it by Mr. GOODMAN, in 1721.
1737 - William READER,
1741 - Piercy MEADE, Vicar,
upon Reader's resignation.
1745 - William MARTIN,
A.M., vicar, upon MEADE resignation. Mr. MARTIN was son of James
MARTIN, of Bandon, merchant, who was provost of the town in
1699, and again in 1713, 1721, and 1724. (John SMITH was curate
from 1746 to 1749.)
1750 - John DENNIS,
A.M., vicar, upon the death of Martin. He married Mrs. Elizabeth
BEVAN, of Kinsale, by whom he had a daughter, Jane, who was
married in Ballymodan Church, December 11th, 1768, to James
HUSSEY, Esq., cornet 3rd Light Dragoons. Mr. DENNIS died in
1776 - John LORD,
A.M., vicar. Mr. LORD was probably of the same family as Daniel
LORD prebendary of Kilbrogan. He died in 1795
1795 - Henry HEWITT,
A.M., vicar. In 1768 Mr. HEWITT, on the 12th of December,
married Susan Judith BROWNE. The ceremony was performed in
Kilbrogan Church by the Rev. Michael TISDALE. He was buried in
March 26th, 1803
1803 - Charles HEWITT, A.B.,
vicar, brother of his predecessor,
1809 - Robert
MONTGOMERY, vicar, upon the death of HEWITT. He resigned in
1813 - Joseph JERVOIS, vicar.
He was provost of Bandon for many years.
1825 - Arthur KNOX, vicar.
He resigned in 1835, and went to England.
1835 - Henry Fitzallen
MCCLINTOCK, A.B., vicar.
1846 - John BLEAKLEY, A.M.,
The charities of Ballymodan
consists of: -
Ten pounds (Irish) per annum, bequeathed by Thomas HARRISON, charged
on lands. The amount distributed equally between Ballymodan and
- Two pounds annually, left
by Alderman FRENCH, of Cork, to the poor of Ballymodan.
- Ten pounds eight shillings
per annum, left by Colonel Thomas BEECHER, of Sherkin Island. To be
expended at the rate of four shillings a week, in bread, for the
poor of Ballymodan. One thousand pounds. Interest thereof to be
divided between poor of Ballymodan and Kilbrogan.
- Four hundred pounds left
by William MOXLY. Interest to be divided between poor of Ballymodan
Extracted from George BENNETT’s
‘History of Bandon’
1738 The first Masonic
lodge was opened on the 12th of June, 1738 in a room in the house of Mr.
Thomas Bourk, when the following were present:-
Matthew Adderly, Esq.,
master Mr. Thomas Wheeler
Mr. John Friar, deputy
master Mr. Thomas Bourk
Richard Screech, senior
warden Mr. William Norwood
Robert Morris, junior
warden Mr. Robert Simmons
Rev. John Friar Mr.
During next 15 years:
Bernard, Arthur. Harman,
Thomas. Minnear, William.
Bennett, Thomas. Honner,
Rober. McCarthy, Charles.
Cotter, Edward. Hammett,
Richard. Rugg, Henry.
Ellis, Peter. Jarvis,
Samuel. Tottenham, Cliffe.
Gillman, Stephen. Laone,
John. Travers, John Moore.
There were also a great many
French officers admitted, who were prisoners in Bandon in 1746 and 1747,
Comes, Jean Baptiste Du
Roche, Francois Kersabie, Chevalier.
Oierre. Fostain, Louis. Floronce, Pierre.
Du Portas, Jean,
M.D. Guzeau, Louis. Du Roche, Francois.
The officers of the lodge
present on this occasion (1838) were:-
Francis B. Hingston,
W.M. Robert T. Belcher, S.D.
S.W. James Hamilton, J.D.
J.W. Willliam Belcher. sec. and tres.
Richard Bailie, senior
tyler Hugh Douglass, junior tyler
1754 - The first meat
shambles was erected here. It was built at the northern end of the
bridge (western side), and contained twenty-two stalls. These were in
great demand by the butchers, who paid one pound annually for each
stall, and occupied them on the opening day in the following order:- (George
Bennett ‘History of Bandon,’ 1869)
1. William MOXLEY
2. Timothy KENCASH
3. James HARRIS and Will
7. James MOXLEY
8. Denis MURRAY
9. Michael HURLEY
10. Thomas WHOLEHANE
11. John BURCHILL
12. Cornelius RICKARD
13. John REEN
14. William SEARLS
16. William MOXLEY
17. John SEARLS
18. Cornelius FOREHANE & Son
19. Stephen MOXLEY
20. Robert SEARLS
21. John LISSON
22. Edward DRAKE
1802 GAME CERTIFICATES
(Selections) – Bandon
BALDWIN Rich., Gamekeeper to the Earl of Bandon,
1826 – BANDON PLOUGHING MATCH
– On Wednesday the 15th instant, the Bandon Farming
Society held their first Spring Ploughing match for the present year, on
the lands of Mishells, near Bandon. There were twenty ploughs in the
field, and the attendance of farmers was much greater than on former
occasions. Indeed, from the renewed interest which was manifestly felt
among the agricultural working classes at this ploughing match, there is
good reasons to expect that the Bandon Farming Society will regain that
high rank which it formerly held among the Agricultural Associations of
this county. – The ploughing was in general excellent, and it was with
no small difficulty that the Judges were able to form their decision, in
awarding the premiums. The following was the adjudication: -
||Duke of Devonshire
||John Nash, Esq.
||Duke of Devonshire
||Thomas J. Biggs,
ploughman to Denis QUINLAN for superior merit
||Duke of Devonshire
||For the best
Horses and tackling in the field
||Robert POPHAM Esq.
||Thomas J. BIGGS
This now very active and
efficient Society will hold their next ploughing match at Carhue, near
Bandon, on Monday, the 3d of April, subject to the regulations of their
premium sheet, for the present year.
1826 – CO. OF CORK, WEST
RIDING, TO WIT – AT a General Sessions of the Peace holden at
BANDON, in and for the said Cork County West Riding, on Friday, the
Twentieth day of October, 1826. The Persons undernamed being
householders, residing in the principal Market Towns, within the said
County were nominated and appointed by JOHN MACAN, Esq.,
Assistant Barrister for the said Cork County, West Riding, to be
Officers for the service of Civil Bill Processes, within the Cork County
West Riding aforesaid, pursuant to the 7th George the Fourth,
Names of Persons appointed
Residing in the Market Towns of
1845 - BANDON QUARTER SESSIONS
||WADE Chas. R.
1847 Primitive Wesleyan Methodist Preacher. Henry
BANDON COMMITTEE OF CORK TRADE EXHIBITION OF 1852
Hon R. B Bernard
Richard L. Allman
Stewart R. Tresilian
James C. Allman
Charles Allman, jun
John Wheeler, Esq, JP
Thomas Sullivan, Solicitor
Thomas Sherlock, Chairman,
W.C. Sullivan, Secretary
N.C. Bowen, Secretary