a guide to
tracing your ancestors in bandon, cork. ireland
|home | bhj | griffiths | churches | townlands | maps | directories | census | parish records | links | family trees|
Templemartin Parish and townlands templemartin google map
-Teampull Mairtin – Church of Saint Martin
Knockadooma (266 acres) Cnoc a’Dumha – Hill of the tumulus or mound. Here is a ring fort
Commons (287 acres) Sliabh Coitcheann – Mountain common. Here is a holy well called tobar na Fuaire – Well of the hard water at which rounds were performed. Here as well was a fair field at which fairs were formerly held and for the holding of which Baldwin of Mount Pleasant had a patent.
Boggra (185 acres) Bograch – Marshy place
Mossgrove (807 acres) Garran a’Chunaigh – Moss grove. At the south side are the remains of an old fortified mansion of the Baldwins called the Towers. It was surrounded by a wall. At the south east are the Tanyard Cross and Tanyard Bridge. At the north side is Quarry’s Cross said to derive its name from somebody named or nicknamed Quarry. At the west side is a rough spot called Carraigin an Ionaidh – Little rock of rivalry or contest. At one time a brewery and a distillery were worked here. It is written Garanaconig in Pettys Map.
Lisnagat (396 acres) Lios nag Cat – Fort of the cats. Here is a ring fort which is supposed to have been inhabited by wild cats about which tales are told. At the south side are the remains of large cotton mills which employed up to 100. They were erected by the Baldwins who owned the townland.
Kilbarry (276 acres) Cill Barra – Church of St Finbar. Here is the site of a church dedicated to St Finbar. In the centre is a ring fort while at the west side is a gallan standing fifteen feet in height.
Carrigafroca (123 acres) Carraig a’Phroca – Rock of the crock or urn.
Scarriff (329 acres) Scairbh – Rough ford, shallow water. North end is termed Knocknageeha – Cnoc na Gaoithe (windy hill). At the south side is a methodist church which was erected in 1870 and which is now disused. In the townland are two ring forts partly demolished.
Moskeagh (650 acres) Magh Sceach – Plain of whitethorn. Part is termed an Cnapog Mor – Big hillock. In the townland are traces of two ring forts as well as a large gallan.
Garranes (1216 acres) Garrain – Groves It is written Garranephilimy – Garran Feidhlimidh (feidhlimidh’s grove) in 1659 census. Feidhlimidh was the son of Tighernach, son of Aodh Urgarbh and was king of Munster from AD 580 to 585. Here was the ancient seat of the O’Mahonys and the triple fossed fort is now termed Lisnacaheragh – Lios na Cathrach (fort of the tribal city). It was formerly called Rath Raithleann and was founded about AD 450. It was abandoned about 1220 for a more permanent stone structure at Castlelack.
The townland is rich in raths such as Lisnamanroe – Lios na mBan Ruadh (fort of the red haired women) which is seemingly a corruption of Lios na Bainrioghna – Queens fort, Lisnaboul – Lios na Buaile (fort of the cattle field); Cuans fort – Rath Cuain which derived its name from Cuan O’Lochain, ollamh and chronicler of Cian, who was killed in 1024 and Lisheennagrena – Lisin na Greine (little sunny fort). Most of these forts are now levelled. In Lisheennagrena a large ogham stone was discovered. St Finbar is said to have been born at a spot north of Rath Faithleann called Shanawillen – Seana-Mhuilinn Cathair Cein (old mill of Cian’s fort) about AD 570 during the chieftainship of Tighernach.
Templemartin protestant church at the south side was built in 1718. In th adjoining graveyard stood the old parish church. A group fo houses formerly situated east of the church was termed An Sciobol Ban – White barn. At the west side of the townland is Tobernafoora – Tobar na Fuawire (well of the hard water). At a road junction at the north west is Crois na Leanbh (children’s cross road burial ground)
Moneen (591 acres) Moinin – Little bog or swamp.. IN the townland are traces of 2 ring forts, Moylelisheen – Maol Lisin (little bare or exposed fort) being at the south end.
Scartnamuck (551 acres) Scairt na Muc – Thicket of the pigs. Here are 2 ring forts. Along the west and south sides runs the Duke’s wood, named after the Duke of Devonshire and in which are Carraig an Aifrinn – Mass rock and Aghaphona Bridge – Ath a’Phona (ford of the pound). The Pound Road leading to it is still mentioned.
Castlenalact (281 acres) Caislean na Leacht – Castle of the memorial stones. In the centre are remains of an O’Mahony castle which was built about 1220 and at the east side is a stone alignment of four large standing stones commemorating a battle fought here between the O’Mahony clan and the Danes in 1088. Castlenalact in Templemartin and Castlenalact in Brinny were formerly one townland deriving its name from the standing stones.
Shanacloyne (355 acres) Seana-Chluain – Old park. The Gilman family, who were intermarried with the Baldwins of Mount Pleasant, altered the name to Old Park which is the present local name. At the south side is Droghideenamhinisteir – Droichidin a’Mhinisteir (minister’s little bridge)
Curravordy (741 acres) Corra Mhor Duibhe – Black Martha’s homestead. The townland at present derives its name from Mount Pleasant House of the Baldwins. At the east side is Mount Pleasant Wood. On the north boundary is the site of an old disused burial ground called Cill Aodha – Aodh’s burial ground. What is known as Kilbrenan Abbey in Moviddy parish is said to have been founded by St Aodh and this was probably the attached burial ground. An ancient highway called the Boreen Keal – Boithrin Caol (narrow laneway) ran through the townland. It probably led to the royal residence at Raithleann.
Farranhavane (500 acres) Fearann Iath Bhain – Land of the white meadow. It kmight read Fearann Shiobhain – Hannah’s land. At the north side is an old deer park and at the south is Crushanagire Cross roads – Crois Ath na nGadhar (c