a guide to
tracing your ancestors in bandon, cork. ireland
|home | bhj | griffiths | churches | townlands | maps | directories | census | parish records | links | family trees|
Kilbrogan Parish Cill Brogain Church of St Brogan kilbrogan google map
The life of Bairre says Brogan was a pupil of Bairre. St Brogan founded a church and a monastery here which he dedicated to St Michael. IN 1731 there was in the parish of Kilbrogan no reputed mass house or popish chapel. The north side of the town of Bandin is in the parish and Christ Church, Kilbrogan was the first church built in Ireland for protestant worship. It was erected in 1610.
Derrycool (410 acres) Doire an chuil Oakwood of the hill back. The Hewitts had land and business here. The name survivies in Hewitts Cross
Tullyglass (218 acres) Tulaigh Ghlas Green hillock.
Carhoon West (534 acres) Ceathramhain Quarter of the land.
Carhoon East (274 acres). At the south side is Mount Bernard. On the south border is Baxters Bridge on the river Bandon. It was built in 1830
Laragh (610 acres) Laithreach Old habitation or ruin. At the west side is Tobernamalla Tober na Mala (well of the hill brow). At the North East side is the site of an old burial ground known as cill field. Slate quarries are located on the north side
Mallowgaton (328 acres). Mala gCeidin Brow of the little flat topped eminence. The Bandon waterworks were located herre. On the northern boundary on the Ballymahane river is Ballaghnaleama Ford Bealach no Loinne (passage of the jump). At the south east is Ballaghcloghane Bridge Bealach an Chlochain (passage of the causeway or stepping stone). Here are two ring forts.
Lisnabanree (229 acres) Lios na Bannraighe Fort of the enclosure or pound. A ring fort is on the south side. The local name is Queensfort having arisen through confusion of the word bainrioghan meaning a queen with the word bannraighe.
Roughgrove West (355 acres) Doire Gabh. Rough grove or wood. Part in the south west is termed Cariggroe Carraig Ruadh (red rock). A second rock in the centre is termed Leaba Caillighe Hags Bed. There are a few ring forts. Some have been levelled. It is written Derregarriffe in Pettys map.
Roughgrove East (420 acres). There are three ring forts. At the east side is a holy well called Toberanure Tobar an Lubhair (well of the yew tree) at which rounds were performed. At the east side are ruins of a carding mill and a spinning mill near which is Ahnagire Bridge Ath na nGadhar (ford of the dogs). Further west at the south side is Alcocks Bridge. A family of Alcocks lived in Roughgrove House and intermarried with the Baldwins of Mount Pleasant.
Gurteen (580 acres) Goirtin Little field. An earlier name was Goritin Chonchubhair Og Young Cohoghors liffle field. Conogher Og OMahony joined in the Desmond wars. He succeeded to the chieftaincy in 1579 at 23 and was slain in 1582. At Gurteen Cross was a thatched chapel with mud walls which was opened in 1731 and was accidentally burnt in 1796. On the south boundary is Ballintannig Bridge Beal Ath an tSeannaigh (ford mouth of the fox). At the south side is tobar na Coise Well of the bank. Tinkers Cross Roads is also nearby. Cihard Tickner is said to have acquired lands in Bandon from Sir Bernard Granville. There was a magistrate in Bandon in 1620 and in 1635 called Tickner. On the northern border is Ballygarvey Bridge Beal Ath Ui Ghairbheith (Garveys ford mouth). The stream at the north side is Ballymahane river Baile Meathan (place of twig saplings).
Curraclogh (364 acres) Corra Cloch Stone enclosure
Shinagh (473 acres) Sionnach Fox resort
Coolfadda (382 acres) Cul Fada Lonig hill back
Knockbrogan (233 acres) Cnoc Brogain St Brogans Hill. Hill leading to St Brogans Church
Callatrim (611 acres) Caladh Truim River side meadow of the alder trees. IN the centre is a holy well where rounds were performed. Herre is the Boithrin Ghlas Little green road
Kilbrogan (372 acres) Cill Brogain St Brogans Church. Here are the remains of the parish church which was built in 1796 and closed in 1922. The site of St Brogans earlier church dedicated to St Michael is in the centre of the graveyard. It was used for worship by the earliest Bandon planters and later its stones were used to build Christ Church. Bishop Delaney of Cork (1847-1866) was born in Kilbrogan church during mass on Christmas day in 1804 and his parents are buried in the attached graveyard. At the south side of the town park is Ladys Well as well as a holy well with a cure for eye ailments.
Mishells (605 acres) Muighe Isle Low plains. At the south side is Tobernafarna Tobar na Fearna (well of the alder trees) Paircin na Cille Little field of the church and Boithrin na Cille Little road of the church. Also at the southern side are possibly remains of an earlier church. Mishells, under the name Midisel, is mentioned as a parish in the taxation list of 1199 and probably embraced areas of Templemartin and Brinny which are not mentioned. At the west side is Scrahan Lane Screathan (stones slope) locally termed long lane. At the east side is Gashs Cross Roads. The Gash family had property in the area and were early Bandon planters. At the south east side is a site of a school which opened in 1825.
Little Silver (178 acres) Beitheach Birch spot, place of the silver birch.
Kilbeg North (217 acres) Cill Bheag. Little church. Grandons Lane runs through the townland. At the east end is Bealaha bridge Beal Atha (mouth of the ford)
Kilbeg South (183 acres). At the south side is the site of an old church. There is also the site of Kilbeg Castle built by the Wiseman family who were amoung the first Bandon planters. Cardinal Wiseman of Westminster was a direct descendant. The walls of the castle were two ft thick. Spensers daughter, Catherine, who was married to William Wiseman, lived and died here and is buried in Christ Church, Kilbrogan. William Wiseman was an MP for Bandon from 1634 to 1639. He was the son of Simon Wiseman, one of the first settlers. Spenser wrote part of his Faerie Queen here and several of his descendants may have been buried in Kilbrogan.