BANDON GENEALOGY

a guide to tracing your ancestors in bandon, cork. ireland
 

home | bhj | griffiths | churches | townlands | maps | directories | census | parish records | links | family trees |

Assignment of leases from one lessee to another

 

Year

From

To

Location/property

1708

Abraham Savage

Thomas Simmons

Newces tmt? History of property given in this transfer. Original tenant  Capt Wm Newce → 1612 Julian Jones, widow who married Patrick Murhpy of Murragh,  →  1622 Henry Turner, clothier, then to his son Capt Hy Turner → 1650 Abraham Savage → 1670 Margaret Savage, widow of Abraham to John Jackson → 1674 back to Margaret Savage → 1678 to Tabitha Savage, dau of Margaret → 1692 Abraham Savage, son of Tabitha.

 

1785

John Smythe

William Conner

 

1793

Walter Tanner of Watergate

James Sweeny of Bandon

No 5 on Scale survey

1810

Stewart Tresilian and George Cooper

Arthur Bernard and Elizabeth Beamish

Large house north side of Bandon River, 2 gardens plus Cooks Meadow on south side. For the consideration of 170.12.6.

1810

Assignee of John Williams, architect and bankrupt

Thomas Knowlton, agent of Duke of D

Part lands of Lissabrooder (Brinny). For the consideration of 215.5.8d

1811

George Burchill, clothier

Duke of Devonshire

Clancoolmore

1813

Elizabeth Beamish, widow

Arthur Beamish Bernard

Same property transferred from Arthur Bernard to Elizabeth Beamish in 1792?

1815

George/Nathaniel Burchill

Duke of Devonshire

Mill and land at Murragh. New lease to Arthur Beamish Bernard

1824

Edward Mildenhall, confectioner of Kinsale, and Elizabeth his wife, otherwise Bull, widow of William Bull, weaver now dead.

John Swanton, clothier, and Anne, widow and administrator of John Bull, weaver, plus William Brash, Cork, slater and tiler, and Ann his wife

Late Wm Bull left property to wife Elizabeth 1819 on proviso that if she remarried it would go to the children of John Bull and Ann Brash.

1824

Elizabeth Seymour, widow of Harris Seymour, brazier

George Cornwall the younger

Part lands at Kilpatrick. Annual rental 19.10. For a consideration of 200. Mention of son William Seymour

1828

John Thomas Hungerford Sealy, Jonas Morris Sealy, heir of Robert Sealy of Barleyfield, and Winthrop B Sealy

Edward Doherty

Roes Tenement.

1829

Barry Walsh, Bandon, next of kin and guardian of Charlotte Walsh

Stephen Moxley, Cordwainer

Dwelling house/premises in South Main St. lately held by Jonathan Jagoe bounded on Nth by S Moxley, East Wm Skuse, West Robt Edwards, South by South Main St. Annual rental  9.4.8

1833

Edward Doherty

Thomas Sloane, painter and glazier

Dwelling house/premises South Main St. Bounded Nth by Sth Main St, West by Thomas Seymour, Sth and East by Edward Doherty

1835

John Buckley

James Buckley

Derrycool. Mentions marriage agreement regarding James Buckley and Ellen Quinlan, daughter of Daniel. 1849 Wm Stanley is tenant of this property.

1835

William Jenkins

Robert S Fowkes

Mallogeaton. For consideration of 370

1839

Mrs Dorothea cooper, widow of George and George Cooper, only son

Frederick Mayne

9 acres at Callatrim

1839

Charles Allman

John Herrick of Bandon

Land at Castlenact late in the possession of Sarah Aicken. Leased by Allman in 1832

1839

Charlotte Walsh, spinster, Michael Moxley, cordwainer, Barry Walsh, saddler

Robert Edwards, Tallow chandler

Litton and Scotts tenements, Sth Main St. leased in 1794 by Thomas Welsh

1853

Rev Thomas Biggs, Templemartin Glebe, Mars Susanna Grace Anne Biggs, admin of Thomas Joseph Biggs, Passage West

Honourable Henry Boyle Bernard, Coolmain

Bruces holdings, Sth Main St, formerly held by Edward Preston

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leases surrendered to the Duke of Devonshire (who consistently paid 5/- for the surrender)

 

Year

Name

Location

1753

Joseph Ledbetter, Dr of Physick and son of Thomas Ledbetter

Part of Collier, relinquished plot next door for Shambles

1759

John Cox, Bandon

Brigadier Freke's tmt, now vested in Lieut Col Michael Cox, 1st Regiment Foot Guard

1816

Arthur Beamish Bernard

Premises in and near the town of Bandon

1817

Richard Wheeler

11 on Scale survey, Nth side of South Main St. leased in 1795 by John Wheeler, linen manufacturer, then held by Jonathan Tanner?

1817

Philip Bernard

Lands at East Carhue. Leased by William Banfield 1760

1817

Jonas Bernard

Lands at East Carhue. Leased by William Banfield 1760

1818

Thomas Banfield

Lands at East Carhue, leased in 1808

1818

George Emerson, shopkeeper

Jennings and Bennett tmts, leased 1770 by Thomas Weldon, formerly by Cesar Alcock

1820

Thomas Biggs

Stammers tmt, formerly leased by George Roch, grandfather of lessee and to Attiwell Roche 1783

1821

Misses Jenkins

Corner of Bridge St bounded on East by street from Irishtown Bridge to Bandon Bridge, west by Bridge St., South by Edward Doherty, North by Quay from Bridge St to Bandon Bridge.

1822

Timothy Murphy

North Main St. leased in 1816

1829

Mrs M Garde

Kilnecranagh, leased in 1824

1830

Arthur B Bernard

Teadies. Leased in 1821

1830

Mary Crowley, widow, Timothy Crowley, Michael Denby/Denley? Of Maheragh?

85 acres at Gurranes, leased in 1821

1833

William Wren

Land at Ballygaggin, crops valued at 478

1838

Cornelius Lane, farmer

50 acres at Kilnegady, leased in 1835

1838

Robert Tresilian Belcher assignee for George/William Cornwall, bankrupts, trading as Geo/Wm Cornwall, Brewers, malsters, Dealers, and Chapmen?

Part Kilpatrick leased in 1824, late Harris Seymour land.

1849

Denis Quinlan

74 acres at Tullyglass

1850

Thomas Gash

South Main St, leased 1818 to Thomas Gash (father?)

1851

Robert Edwards, shopkeeper

2 dwellings South Main St, leased to Thomas Welsh, saddler 1794. Timothy Lucy occupies one

1851

Thomas Sloane, painter, Thomas Morris Sloane, Edward Doherty

Leased in 1833, unclear if this is a surrender or tranfer

1851

Edward Doherty

Roes tenement, leased 1794 to Baldwin Sealy

1852

Jane Allen Hayes

North Main St, lease to Joseph Williams 1820

1853

Henry Herrick

144 acres at Woodlands, Kilpatrick, leased in 1844

1857

Henry Boyle Bernard, Coolmain

Part Bruces holdings, South Main St, leased 1827

1858

Benjamin Ford, architect, Kinsale

North Main St. leased 1817 to Benjamin Ford, father