a guide to
tracing your ancestors in bandon, cork. ireland
bhj | griffiths |
churches | townlands |
maps | directories |
census | parish records |
links | family trees
Tigh Molaga – Saint Molaga’s house or monastery. St Molaga was a native of the Fermoy area and was born early in the 7th century. His feast day is 20th January.
Ardmore (222 acres) Ard Mor – Great Height
Cooligboy (90 acres) Cabhlaigh Bhuidhe – Yellow or faded house ruins
Carhoo (534 acres) Ceathramha – Quarter of baile fearann. In the townland are three ring forts.
Barryshall (580 acres) Magh Chonnaidh – Plain of firewood. It derives its name from a large mansion erected by the Barrys. Some ring forts are in the townland. A children’s burial ground is at the south side. It is written Mohoney in the 1659 census.
Timoleague (196 acres) Tigh Molaga – House or church of Molaga. It is probable that St Molaga had an early church settlement here. Timoleague Abbey or Friary was founded in the early 14th century by William Maol Barry for Franciscans who had been in the neighbourhood for some years. Within its ruins are the graves of Bishop Eoin Mac Egan who was slain near the Bandon River in 1603; Edmund de Courcey, Bishop of Ross in 1494 and John Immurrilly (Hurley), Bishop of Ross who died in 1519, as well as the graves of many leading families such as McCarthys, Barrys, de Courceys, O’Mahonys and others. The town of Timoleague was of Norman creation and grew up around the castle of the Barrys. In the beginning of the 14th century it was a walled town. According to Bennett’s History of Bandon, ‘when the site of Bandon was a meer waste bog Timoleague was a town where Irish gentlemen and Spanish merchants met and traded’.
Lettercollum (210 acres) Leitir Colm – Hillside of the doves or pigeons. It might read Leitir Chollum, a personal name. Tobar Muire – Our Ladys Well, in this townland is much frequented as a place of pilgrimage especially on 15th August.
Killavarrig (709 acres) Coill a’Bharraigh – Barry’s wood. Some ring forts are in the townland
Ummera (160 acres) Iomaire – Ridge. An Dun Oirthir – Eastern fortress, was an earlier name. A ring fort is at the west side. At south and north are Ummera Wood and Glen Wood.
Castle Upper (98 acres) An Caislean Uachtarach – Upper castle. At the east side is Tobernabantierna – Tobar na Baintighearna (ladys well)
Castle Lower (80 acres) An Caislean Iochtarach – Lower castle