a guide to
tracing your ancestors in bandon, cork. ireland
|home | bhj | griffiths | churches | townlands | maps | directories | census | parish records | links | family trees|
Innishannon Parish and townlands Innishannon google map
– Barony of Kinalea – Cineal Aodha – Of the race of Aodh. Aodh was the son of Criomhthan and grandson of Eochy.
Innishannon – Inis Eoghanain – Island or river holm of Little Owen, the Insovenach of early Norman documents.
Curranure (364 acres) Corr an Iubhair – Round hill of the yew trees. Here four British army men were executed in 1797 for having taken the oath of the United Irishmen. They are buried in the old graveyard of Innishannon.
Ardnaclug (203 acres) Ard nag Clog – Bellmount, bell shaped height. At the east end is the recently renovated Cor Castle and on the east boundary is Colony Hill appertaining to Adderlys Huguenot colony, members of which had dwellings here. On the east border also is the Pike where tolls were collected on the old Cork-Bandon road. At the north side are the remains of a watchtower.
Dromkeen (677 acres) drom Caoin – Smooth or level hill back. It might read Drom Choinn – Conn’s ridge or hill back. At the south side is Likpadder churchyard – Cill Peadair (St Peter’s church and burial ground). The church was dedicated to St Peter. Here are famine pits. At the east side is Dromkeen Wood.
Ballymountain (534 acres) Baile Mointeain – Place of the reclaimed moore.
Farranagow (99 acres) Fearann na gCabha – Land of the caves. It might read Fearann a’Ghabha – Land of the smith
Knockroe (602 acres) Cnock Ruadh – Red hill. At the north east is Colliers Quay which probably derives its name from the coal boats which discharged here. Collier is mentioned as a personal name. At the south east is the site of Carriganssig Castle of the McCarthys.
Skevanish (360 acres) Sceimh Fhainchis – Projecting edge of the fox lair. This was the local pronunciation in the early part of the present century. It might read Sceach an Fhainchis – Thorn bush of the fox lair. Here are the ruins of Downdaniel Castle of the Barry Oges which was built in 1476 on the site of a Danish fortress called Dundanier – Fort of the Danes and which was erected early in the 10th century. At the conclusion of the 1641 wars the castle, which at the time was held by McCarthy Reagh, was granted to Boyle, Earl of Cork. Following the siege of Dunboy in 1602, Carew quartered some companies of foot here. In the early part of the 17th century an English company had a smelting plant and a shipbuilding yard in the locaility. It is written Skevanahish by Lewis in his dictionary. Skeachinannyhis is the spelling in the genealogy of Corca Laidhe.
Laherfineen (139 acres). Lathair Finghin – Fineen’s site or location. Innishannon village lies at the south side of the townland and the townland of Farnahoe. Inishannon was a tone time a walled town. Thomas Adderly of Gloucestershire was the builder and owner. He sat for nearly forty years in the Irish Parliament. The Adderlys were among the first Bandon planters and at Innishannon in about 1747 they founded the linen industry the material from which was said to have been the best in Ireland. Huguenot refugees were employed about 1760. Between the town and the Bandon River were a bleach mill and a bleach green. Further east was a corn mill. Innishannon Bridge was built in 1665 and is one of the oldest in the country.
Crosses (145 acres) Crosanna – Crosses or cross roads. At the east side is Spreade’s Cross roads. It is written Crossmore in Pettys map – Cros Mhor (big cross)
Dunkereen (454 acres) Dun an Chuirrin – Fortress of the little round topped hill. At the south side is Danesfort Industrial School which is probably built of the site of an early Danish fort.
Barna (430 acres) Bearna – Gap or defile. At the west side is a large ring fort. aAt the south side was Sleveen Wood which has been cleared.
Farnahoe (397 acres) Fearann na hUamha – land of the cave. Fearann na hAbha – land of the river might be a derivation. At the south side are ruins of the old parish church and graveyard of Innishannon. The church had been taken over for protestant worship and was finally closed in 1856. At the east side is Bohernasop – Bothar na Sop (road of the straw wisps) probably straw roofed houses. At the north side is An Bothar Diomhaoin – Idle or disused road.
Coolmoreen (390 acres) Cul Mothairin – Hill back of the little grove or thicket. At the east side is Knockanerable – Cnoc an Eirbaill (hill of the tail or end). At the est side is Frankfort House built by the Cromwellian family of Hodder. It is now the Innishannon Hotel.
Clouracaun (243 acres) Cloichrean – stoney place. Here are 2 ring forts. At the east end is Skeugh crossroads – Sceabha (little hill or slope). Cloherane was an earlier spelling.
Ballycoghlan (267 acres) Baile Ui Chochlain – Coughlans homestead
Rathnaruogy (422 acres) Rath na Ruaige. Fort of the rout or pursuit. On the south side is a small ring fort. There is a tradition of an ancient church at the south side. This would not have been far removed from Innishannon town and the explanation may be that a catholic church may not have been permitted within the walls. On the west boundary is Boithrin an Atha – Laneway of the ford which leads to a ford on the Bandon River.
Knockmullane (183 acres) Cnoc Mullain – Hill of the green summit
Killountaine (246 acres) Cill Fhionntain – Church of St Fintan. At the south side is a disused burial ground. At the south west is Glanaphuca Wood – Gleann a’Phuca (pooka’s glen). At the east side is a large ring fort now partly demolished.
Annagh More (464 acres) Eanach Mor – Great marsh. At the south side is an extensive snipe bog.
Curra (255 acres) Currach – Level, low lying plain. Here was Kinsale Junction on the Cork-Bandon Railway. The Kinsale line was opened in 1863.
Killeen (282 acres) Cillin – Place of little churchyard. These were often set aside for infant burials. At the south side is the village of Crossbarry – Cros a’Bhasrraigh (Barry’s cross roads) which derives its name from the Barry Oges who owned Ballyhandle Castle nearby.